A very subjective journey, developed with a guide eager to share his unique experience with fellow travelers, Matthieu Zellweger:
Japan. The Japan that is dear to me. The itinerary that I propose here opens a door to «my» Japan. Its places, its culture, its landscapes. Its sometimes surprising aspects, as well. Through this open door you will glimpse a fascinating country, surprisingly varied and populated by people of extraordinary kindness. At times very traditional (nights in a traditional Japanese inn (a ryokan) with on-site dining and futon on the floor, traditional baths, old wooden houses) or contemporary (huge cities, automation of the daily tasks, futuristic railway stations), at times familiar (manga, sushi, ubiquitous electronics) or surprising (sake, kaiseki meals, lifestyle), «my» Japan never ceases to amaze me, even after 19 trips there.
Features of the holiday
|Season:||Autumn, Spring, Winter|
|Responsible travel:||Accommodation, Environmentally-friendly transportation, Food, Local food, Micro-economy, Public transportation, Small organization|
|Travel type:||Active holidays|
|Traveller type:||Couple, Family, More mature, Small group, Solo|
|Natural environment:||Island, Mountain, Seaside|
|Culture:||Architecture, Art, Artisans, Buddhism, Castle, Cathedral, Customs, History, Legends, Philosophy, Temple, Vernacular architecture|
|Climate:||Continental, Humid subtropical, Temperate|
Itinerary of the holiday
- Day 1 : Tokyo. Shinjuku and Shibuya areas.
- Day 2 : Tokyo. Shimo-Kitazawa area. Asakusa Temple.
- Day 3 : Tokyo. Tsukiji fish market. Ueno, park and museum. Ebisu neighborhood.
- Day 4 : Tokyo–Nagasaki. Mount Inasa-yama.
- Day 5 : Nagasaki. Urakami Cathedral. Dejima Dutch trading post. Shianbashi area.
- Day 6 : Nagasaki–Hagi.
- Day 7 : Hagi. Jôkamachi area (samurai area).
- Day 8 : Hagi. Tôkô-ji temple. Pottery workshop.
- Day 9 : Matsue. Castle and Lafcadio Hearn’s house.
- Day 10 : Matsue. Izumo Shrine.
- Day 11 : Kyoto. Kiyomizu-dera temple.
- Day 12 : Kyoto. Nanzen-ji temple. Fushimi Inari Shrine. Arashiyama bamboo forest. Gion, Geisha area.
- Day 13 : Kyoto or Nara or Osaka on your own.
- Day 14 : Transfer to Osaka. Return flight to Switzerland.
Length of the holiday
14 days (13 nights)
Throughout the year but best periods are spring and autumn
CHF 11,420.–/pers. (2 pers.)
For 1, 3, 5 and 7 people, please ask us a special calculation.
Single room supplement: CHF 920.–
Included with the holiday
- accommodation in a hotel or a ryokan from day 1 (as soon as you arrive) to day 14,
- Japan Rail Pass for 2 weeks,
- all breakfasts, one dinner in Tokyo, dinners in Hagi, one dinner in Matsue, 2 dinners in Kyoto,
- English-speaking guide during the whole trip
Not included with the holiday
- international return flights,
- travel insurance (highly recommended),
- excursions and activities not mentioned in the program,
- meals not mentioned in the detailed description,
- alcoholic beverages, mineral water, etc.,
- personal expenses