The Slieve Aughty Centre is exactly what we wanted: it offers a beautiful natural and highly sustainable environment, additionally it offers activities for the whole family. A Taste of Travel has chosen two walks accompanied by donkeys offered by the Slieve Aughty Centre. They are an ideal holiday for families. They allow children to live out an adventure safely while parents enjoy a more rural Ireland. There is the possibility to choose the option of spending the night in one place (the Residenital Option) or the Post-to-Post Option, which follows very quiet country roads and forest paths. Different selected Bed & Breakfasts offer organic meals and quiet nights. For a young family the residential option offers great flexibility, while the Post-to-Post option would attract more active families.
Ecotourism Ireland Certified to Global standards www.gstcouncil.org
Features of the holiday
|Season:||Autumn, Spring, Summer|
|Responsible travel:||Environmentally-friendly transportation, Local food, Micro-economy, Organic, Possible without flight, Sensitization, Small organization, Transportation|
|Travel type:||Active holidays|
|Traveller type:||Couple, Family, More mature, Small group, Solo, Student|
|Activities:||Observation, Positioning, Tour, Walk|
|Accommodation:||Bed & Breakfast, Guesthouse|
|Natural environment:||Birds, Forest, Lake, Plain|
Itinerary of the holiday
- Jour 1 : Arrival in Ireland and then travel to the Riding Center. Overnight at the Centre.
- Jour 2 : Introduction to the animals at the Centre. Overnight at the Centre.
- Jour 3 : First day of your walk with your donkey. Overnight at Cartron House Bed & Breakfast.
- Jour 4 : Day walk in the direction of Lough Attorick. Overnight with Nia O’Malley.
- Jour 5 : Walk along Lough Attorick. Overnight with Nia O’Malley.
- Jour 6 : Day walk in the direction Lough Graney. Overnight at Margaret’s B&B.
- Jour 7 : Last day walking through the Slieve Aughty Mountains. Return to the Riding Centre to overnight.
- Jour 8 : Depart for Switzerland or spend another few days in Ireland.
Length of the holiday
8 days (7 nights)
Wednesday to Wednesday throughout the year, but preferably March to October
Low Season (rest of the year)
High Season (01 June to 30 September and October Midterm break and Easter holidays)
Included with the holiday
- all activities described in the itinerary
- 7 nights in a Bed & Breakfast or Guesthouse
- breakfast, morning coffee
- all meals
- transfers return Loughrea
- a donation to the Donkey Sanctuary
Not included with the holiday
- flights and travel to the holiday centre
- travel cancellation and repatriation insurance
- alcoholic drinks and snacks
- personal expenses
There is no video for this holiday at the moment.