In the middle of the Atlantic, this archipelago consists of nine islands. Your stay is on the island of Pico, famous for its volcano – Mount Pico, of 2,351 m – and for its UNESCO World Heritage vineyards.
Your days alternate between easily accessible to walks, waterborne trips in search of the 28 species of whales present in the area, and thematic tours to discover the history, economy, life and culture of the Picarotos (inhabitants of Pico).
The island of Pico is an ideal destination to explore sketching, watercolour painting of the rich array of elements in the environment and preserved nature… A beauty that will certainly awaken your creativity and allow you to create a unique travel journal! Every day, some time will be devoted to the development of travel diaries. Games, exercises and technical contributions will be used to stimulate observation and discovery to deepen knowledge of the art of the travel diary (drawing, painting, collage, writing).
A teaching aid will be given to each participant.
This course is open to anyone who loves nature, creativity and, of course, to travel. The group will be made up of 4 to 10 participants and accompanied by Éliane Monnier, painter-carnettist.
It is not necessary to have drawing and painting prerequisites.
Features of the holiday
|Destination:||Azores, Europe, Portugal|
|Responsible travel:||Accommodation, Carbon offset, Environment, Food, Local food, Micro-economy, Sensitization, Small organization|
|Travel type:||Mixed holidays|
|Traveller type:||Couple, Family, More mature, Small group, Solo|
|Activities:||Drawing class, Observation, Painting class, Tour, Trekking, Walk, Wine tasting|
|Natural environment:||Birds, Dolphin, Flora, Geology, Island, Marine fauna, Sea, Volcano, Whale|
|Culture:||Agriculture, Architecture, Customs, History, Vernacular architecture, Viticulture|
Itinerary of the holiday
- Day 1 (Saturday) : Flight from Geneva to Lisbon, then Horta (or Pico). Welcome at the airport, then a ferry to Lajes do Pico. Welcome drink & information concerning the planned activities.
- Day 2 (Sunday) : In the morning, a notebook workshop. Introduction (colours, maps) and in situ sketching around the hotel (architecture, street, perspective). In the afternoon, Vigia de Queimada walk (2 h, 7 km, little difference in altitude). In situ notebook workshop (coast, cliff, nature, birds).
- Day 3 (Monday) : Hiking in the vineyards, picnic at the port of Areia Larga, visit the wine museum and notebook workshop at the museum and outside.
- Day 4 (Tuesday) : In the morning, excursion on the sea. In the afternoon, private visit of the Gruta das Torres cave and workshop in situ.
- Day 5 (Wednesday) : In the afternoon, visit the whaling museum and notebook workshop (fauna, history of the island).
- Day 6 (Thursday) : In the morning, whale watching on the water, rapid sketching. In the afternoon, walk around Lajes with a notebook workshop (structure, rock, flora, colour contrast).
- Day 7 (Friday) : Day hike to the lakes and Laurisilva (primitive forest), in situ notebook workshop.
- Day 8 (Saturday) : Concluding workshop or optional climbing of the Pico volcano.
- Day 9 (Sunday) : Transfer to airport (Pico or Faial). Return flight to Switzerland.
The description of the trip is given as a guideline. The organisers may need to change or modify the trip depending on the weather conditions, security, number of participants and of course the presence of the whales.
Length of the holiday
9 days (8 nights)
Saturday 18 May to Sunday 26 May 2019
Price per person from 2 persons in a shared room:
Base of 6 participants: CHF 2,105.–
This travel is possible from 4 participants on, with adapted prices.
Optional: climbing of the Pico CHF 85.–
Supplements: single room CHF 100.–, sea view CHF 60.–
Included with the holiday
- welcome and transfer from Faial or Pico airport to hotel in Lajes do Pico
- 8 nights accommodation in a 2 ** hotel in a shared room with half board
- on-site transportation as planned in the programme
- two 3-hour excursions on the sea (includes boat, fuel, harbour costs, equipment, etc.)
- coaching of travel notebook creation with individualized advice
- 1 teaching guidebook of the travel diary
- 3 talks on a variety of themes (such as: Pico, volcanoes, the evolution of marine mammals, turtles, photo identification, etc.)
- travel insurance
- free entrance to the Whaler’s museum
- government taxes and cetaceans observation permit
Not included with the holiday
- lunches (mid-day meals)
- drawing/painting equipment (a list of the minimum equipment to be provided)
- single-room or sea-view supplements
- personal expenses