This fantastic three week tour takes you deep into a remote part of South America and its gaciers. After a brief stopover in the Chilean capital of Santiago, you travel south towards the island of Chiloé, with its beautiful natural park and its iconic wooden churches. Then you take the famous Carretera Austral and you head further south to the natural reserve of Cerro Castillo where you will see the Mirador Explorer glacier, the glacier San Rafael and its lagoon, you cross the Rio Baker and then onto the glacier O’Higgins. Continuing south, along Rio Obstáculo and the Redonde Lagoon takes you through the only and very spectacular passage between Chile and Argentina: quite a breathtaking landscape! Then a day hike to Laguna de Los Tres where you will see the impressive Fitz Roy Massif. The trip ends on a high in Glacier National Park in Argentina and the majestic Perito Moreno Glacier.
Features of the holiday
|Destination:||Andes, Argentina, Chile, Patagonia, South America|
|Responsible travel:||Local food, Micro-economy, Public transportation, Sensitization, Small organization|
|Travel type:||Active holidays|
|Traveller type:||Couple, Family, More mature, Small group, Solo|
|Activities:||Observation, Tasting, Tour, Walk|
|Accommodation:||Gîte, Small hotel|
|Natural environment:||Flora, Forest, Fossils, Glacier, Guanaco, Horse, Ice field, Lake, Mountain, Paleontology, Pampas, Pudú|
Click on the above keywords to browse other holidays with a similar feature.
Itinerary of the holiday
- Day 1 : Welcome at Santiago Airport.
- Day 2 : Explore Santiago and travel overnight to Chiloé by bus.
- Day 3 : Visit Castro.
- Day 4 : Excursion to the National Park on the Isla de Chiloé.
- Day 5 : Bus to Puerto Montt then flight for Balmaceda and transfer to Coyhaique.
- Day 6 : Travel south crossing the Cerro Castillo Natural Reserve and Lake Cerro Castillo.
- Day 7 : Travel south for Puerto Tranquilo, Las Capillas Marmol, Lake General Carrera, Mirador of the Explorateur Glacier.
- Day 8 : San Rafael Glacier and its lagoon.
- Day 9 : By road to Puerto Bertrand, walk to Rio Baker.
- Day 10 : By road south to Calenta Tortel, an excursion to the Stefen Glacier.
- Day 11 : By road south to Puerto Yungay, cross the Rio Bravo.
- Day 12 : O’Higgins Glacier.
- Day 13 : Trek along the Rio Obstáculo and the Redonde Lagoon.
- Day 14 : One day trek to the Los Tres Lagoon, view over the Fitz Roy.
- Day 15 : Depart by bus for El Calafate.
- Day 16 & 17 : Stay at Estancia Cristina, by boat to the icebergs, horseback ride, trekking in the valley of fossils.
- Day 18 : By boat to the Perito Moreno Glacier.
- Day 19 : Exploration, trek and by boat in the Glacier National Park.
- Day 20 : Flights for Buenos Aires and onward to Switzerland.
Length of the holiday
21 days (19 nights) + two night flights
On demand, November to March.
Price per person:
CHF 8,500.– (2 pers.)
Included with the holiday
- accommodation, all meals without drinks,
- transfers, buses and boats,
- National Park entries,
- domestic flight,
- mountain guide,
- local guides
Not included with the holiday
- flights El Calafate–Buenos Aires and return international flights,
- travel insurance,
- excursions and activities not mentioned in the programme,
- alcoholic drinks,
- mineral water,
- personal items
There is no video for this holiday at the moment.