Features of the holiday
|Destination:||Azores, Europe, Portugal|
|Season:||Autumn, Spring, Summer|
|Responsible travel:||Accommodation, Carbon offset, Environment, Food, Local food, Micro-economy, Sensitization, Small organization|
|Travel type:||Mixed holidays|
|Traveller type:||Couple, Family, Small group, Solo|
|Activities:||Observation, Tour, Trekking, Walk, Wine tasting|
|Natural environment:||Birds, Dolphin, Flora, Geology, Island, Marine fauna, Sea, Volcano, Whale|
|Culture:||Agriculture, Architecture, Customs, History, Vernacular architecture, Viticulture|
Itinerary of the holiday
- Day 1 (Saturday) : Flight from Geneva to Lisbon, then Horta (or Pico). Welcome at the airport, then a ferry to Lajes do Pico. Welcome drink & information concerning the planned activities.
- Day 2 (Sunday) : Whale watching excursion in the morning and Whaler’s museum in the afternoon.
- Day 3 (Monday) : Hiking on the eastern tip of the island, visiting a potter.
- Day 4 (Tuesday) : Hiking in the vineyards and visiting the wine museum.
- Day 5 (Wednesday) : Excursion on the sea in the morning, an afternoon stroll to the Vigia de Queimada.
- Day 6 (Thursday) : Hiking in the Laurisilva (primitive forest) and a visit to the whale factory in São Roque.
- Day 7 (Friday) : Free. (optional) Climbing of the Pico or day of wildlife-watching in São Jorge.
- Day 8 (Saturday) : Transfer to airport (Pico or Faial). Return flight to Switzerland.
The description of the trip is given as a guideline. The organisers may need to change or modify the trip depending on the weather conditions, security, number of participants and of course the presence of the whales.
Length of the holiday
8 days (7 nights)
Late March to early November
Price per person from 2 persons in a double room, depending on season: € 449.–, € 499.–, € 599.–
Optional: climbing of the Pico € 70.–, day of wildlife-watching from € 98.– (depending on the season)
Supplements: single traveller € 199.–, single room € 95.–, half board € 105.–, 3 *** hotel € 180.–, sea view € 20.–
Included with the holiday
- welcome and transfer from Faial or Pico airport to hotel in Lajes do Pico
- 7 nights accommodation in a 2 ** hotel (breakfast included)
- a road book with detailed descriptions of hikes and planned activities
- two 3-hour excursions on the sea (includes boat, fuel, harbour costs, equipment, etc.)
- access to the services of the BOCA
- 3 hikes in varied landscapes unique to Pico
- 5 talks on a variety of themes (such as: Pico, volcanoes, the evolution of marine mammals, turtles, photo identification, etc.)
- free entrance to the Whaler’s museum
- government taxes and cetaceans observation permit
Not included with the holiday
- travel insurance (highly recommended)