A Taste of Travel suggests an alternative to jeeps or trucks – a horseback safari. Apart from an exceptional riding experience in a magnificent part of the world, being on horseback is a gentle and unagressive entry into this environment – you are likely to be accepted as another grazer – quite an emotional experience. This safari, the Big 5, is for experienced riders with some considerable expertise. This is an extraordinary experience: riding in 2 countries over 9 days seeing the Big 5 – elephant, rhino, buffalo, lion and leopard – from your saddle. If you love horses and wildlife and you want to experience the ultimate adventure of the African Bush by horseback this is the safari for you.
Features of the holiday
|Destination:||Africa, Botswana, South Africa|
|Season:||Autumn, Spring, Summer, Winter|
|Responsible travel:||Economy, Environment, Environmentally-friendly transportation, Food, Local food, Micro-economy, Sensitization, Transportation|
|Travel type:||Sports holidays|
|Traveller type:||Couple, Family, Small group, Solo|
|Activities:||Camp, Observation, Riding, Sport|
|Natural environment:||Antelope, Baboon, Big cat, Buffalo, Elephant, Giraffe, Hippopotamus, Hyena, Leopard, Lion, Monkey, Mountain, Rhinoceros, Savanna, Vulture, Zebra|
Click on the above keywords to browse other holidays with a similar feature.
Itinerary of the holiday
- Day 0 : Departure from Geneva for Oliver Tambo Airport in Johannesburg via Dubai.
- Day 1 : Arrival at Johannesburg, transfer, about 3 hours, to the lodge in Waterberg, Meet the horses and a short hack in the area.
- Day 2 : Canter in Little Serengeti.
- Day 3 : Hacking through the Waterberg Mountains.
- Day 4 : Outing towards the west to the Seven Sisters.
- Day 5 : Last outing in the Waterberg then transfer to Botswana and the Tuli Block.
- Day 6 : Outing to the Limpopo valley and the Nels Vlei Marsh.
- Day 7 : Horseback ride to learn the story of the Boers jeep ride to see the cats.
- Day 8 : Hack to the Bush near Camp Rock.
- Day 9 : Ride to the Nels Vlei then transfer to the airport Oliver Tambo Johannesburg, return to Geneva via Dubai.
Length of the holiday
9 days (8 nights)
From February to November
€ 2,832.– per person
Included with the holiday
- 4 nights safari at Dinaka in a double room (Limpopo, South Africa),
- 4 nights in a safari camp in Botswana in a double room (Tuli Block),
- guides and naturalists,
- all meals,
- snacks and drinks (water, beer, wine),
- towels & soap, laundry,
- tack but we suggest that you bring your own personal items, a riding helmet is obligatory
Not included with the holiday
- international flights
- holiday insurance (highly recommended)
- 3 transfers
There is no video for this holiday at the moment.