Mount Etna, with its 1250 square kilometres and 3,352 m altitude, is the largest active volcano in Europe. It occupies a central place in the center of the Mediterranean basin. The climate and the fertility of its soil have allowed an exceptional flora and fauna to develop there. The route we offer in Mount Etna’s national park is a mix of hiking and exploration. The trip includes an ascent to the summit of Etna, and a visit to craters there to help you understand process of the volcanic eruption. It is certainly possible that you’ll have the chance to witness a lava flow ! As a bonus, you will have the opportunity to see the cities of Catania and Taormina.
Features of the holiday
|Destination:||Europe, Italy, Sicily|
|Season:||Autumn, Spring, Summer|
|Responsible travel:||Environmentally-friendly transportation, Local food, Micro-economy, Possible without flight, Sensitization, Small organization, Transportation|
|Travel type:||Sports holidays|
|Traveller type:||Couple, Family, Small group, Solo|
|Activities:||Camp, Observation, Sport, Tour, Trekking, Walk|
|Accommodation:||Camp, Mountain hut, Small hotel|
|Natural environment:||Mountain, Seaside, Volcano|
|Culture:||Architecture, Art, Vernacular architecture|
Itinerary of the holiday
- Day 1 : Geneva to Catania by air ot train. Transfer to the hotel or refuge at Mt Etna.
- Day 2 : Entry to the National Park. Dinner and overnight in tents or the untended refuge.
- Day 3 : Hike to the foot of Mt Etna. Dinner and overnight in tents or the untended refuge.
- Day 4 : Visit the Grotta dei Lamponi. Hotel in Piano Provenzana & explore the October 2003 eruption. Dinner and overnight in a refuge or an hotel.
- Day 5 : Transfer to the Alcantara Gorges. Explore the Alcantara River towards Taormina. Visit the town and return to the hotel in Piano Sapienza. Dinner and overnight in a refuge or an hotel.
- Day 6 : Cablecar then drive to 2900 m. Hike to the craters at the summit. Hike down via the craters of 2001 & 2002 to 1900 m. Dinner and overnight in a refuge or an hotel.
- Day 7 : Transfer to Catania, stop at Nicolosi, hike on the Monti Rossi. Explore the town on Catania. Free evening and overnight in the hotel.
- Day 8 : Catania – Geneva by air or train.
Length of the holiday
8 days (7 nights)
May to October
Price per person in a double/twin room or dormitory: € 1,315.– (May and September), € 1,415.– (July and August)
Included with the holiday
- 4 night in a refuge/hotel, 1 night in a hotel et 2 nights in an untended mountain hut or under canvas depending on th party
- all evening meals and 5 packed lunches during the hike inside the Park except lunches on day 1 & day 8 and the meal on the free evening on day 7
- the cablecar and the 4X4 to 2900 m
- all transfers (minibus)
- a guide with mules for day 2 to day 4
- a guide for days 1 to 7
- a specialist guide for Etna hike and the craters
- entrance to the Alcantara Gorges
Not included with the holiday
- travel cancellation & repatriation insurance (highly recommended)
- lunch on day 1 & day 8 and the meal on the free evening on day 7
- dinner drinks (water is provided)
- personal items
There is no video for this holiday at the moment.